So, I entered a Bacon contest with Central Market a couple months ago and got a phone call at the beginning of this month that I was a finalist! Yay! I totally entered on a whim and didn’t think much of it, until I got the phone call.
I have made bacon caramel brownies before, but someone mentioned that it needed to be taken to the next indulgent level. I had recently seen bourbon caramel being made and decided to go ahead and try adding a little to the bacon caramel tosee where it would go.
1/2 c. flour
1 1/4 c. cocoa powder
2 c. brown sugar
8 oz (1 c.) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
8 oz butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp kosher salt
4 slices of thick bacon
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. heavy cream
2 TBSP bourbon (optional)
4 TBSP unsalted butter
- In a frying pan, crisp your bacon. Place the bacon on paper towels to cool.
- Drain off the fat, leaving only 2 TBSP of fat in the pan.
- Add your bourbon and butter to the pan and deglaze. Add the cream and bring to a simmer.
- Add the sugar and bring to a high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Chop the bacon and stir into the caramel and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 300.
- In a mixer, beat eggs until fluffy. Add the sugar to the bowl and combine.
- Add your remaining ingredients until just combined, do not over mix.
- In a buttered and floured 8-inch square pan, add half of the brownie batter.
- Pour 3/4 of the caramel into the pan and then cover with the remaining batter.
- Pour the remaining caramel on top and swirl into the batter.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes (Depends on your oven and weather, it took me an hour yesterday)
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
* I like to make extra caramel for a garnish
Get messy…. don’t worry about pretty plating…. I plated this dish in about 5 seconds, as I was about 15 minutes late to the contest…. my phone died (had to run into Verizon to get a charger so I could use my GPS), a guy pulled out a pipe and threatened a driver behind me, got stuck in traffic in the Galleria area, got stuck behind a looooooong train about 700 yards away from my destination…. whew….it was an adventure. But the result was winning a $350 gift card to Central Market/H-E-B! It was awesome!!!!!